Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Art of Scarification:

Looking at my friend's new tattoo, I see how raw it looks and how much it hurt in the process. Another friend asked her if she bled a lot, which was the first time I've ever heard someone ask such a question. I never knew you could bleed when you got a tattoo. And thinking about it now, how much I badly want one I wonder if, as horrible and disgusting as it sounds, pain can be a part of art, or at least the thought of it.

There's also people that brand themselves (they prefer to use the term "scarification"). This type of body art used to be the rite of passage in the ancient times, where when one goes through this process, they become known as a real man or woman. Not to be gruesome or anything, this topic interests me. When you look as someone's tattoo, you usually look at the size first. And the first question everyone asks first is usually "Did it hurt?" And for me, I believe that the coolest looking tattoo is always the most largest and most painful-looking tattoo (on their back for example). And the thought of knowing that this person went through all that pain to get that tattoo done and finished on their very own skin makes it even more worth while to look at.
One form of body art that gives me the creeps of thinking about is "scarification." Like tatooing, scarification is one of the oldest forms of body art many cultures use as a rite of passage. But now, it is becoming one of the popular forms of body art, just like tatooing, piercing, etc... 

Knowing this and how people are taking art to the next level I want to ask:
Does pain make art more interesting?

1 comment: