Sunday, April 3, 2011

What is Beauty?

What I think is beautiful will be different from what you think is beautiful.
Here's what I think is beautiful:
  • the colors of the clouds and the sky as the sun comes up into view to signify that it is morning as the birds just start to chirp and the air is starting to become warm from the sun's rays
  • the ocean waves crashing and lapping over the softest grains of sand at the beach
  • the fresh looking customized nike shoes I had just found online
  • the sound of Whitney Houston's voice as she sings
  • the ripe rasberries still dangling from the rasberry bushes
  • the picture of my parents' wedding day where my mom wore a beautiful white wedding gown, smiling into the eyes of my dad in his black tuxedo.
  • the velvety red petals folded and curled together, forming a rose with sharp thorns pricking out of the stem.
  • the 5 star restaurant food I see on T.V. were they decorate the food to extreme elegance, too perfect to eat.
Based on only a few of the things I described of what I think is art, you can tell that I mostly describe beauty in nature. It is, in a way, kind of tough to describe something as "beautiful" when there are there words you can use, especially now-a-days where all we use are slang terms. It could be just me but I think the purity and simplicities of nature are pleasing to look at. I've been raised on the country side so many of the things I have seen would be viewed differently from what an urban city dweller would see it as.

Question: Depending on how we describe beauty, does it matter how we were raised that answers why we have differences on the definition of beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment