Thursday, May 5, 2011

Defining an Artist; A Partial Response to Sean's blog:

As a little kid, everyone knew me for my talent of drawing. They called me an artist. But the thing is, I never really thought I was one. I thought you had to be very good in whatever media you are good at and have a lot of money. Apparently, this is a bad assumption to make. Anyone can be an artist according to what George Dickie says. But is that true?


As of today, I don't consider myself an artist, though I accept the title as the artist of my pieces of work. The thing is that I can create art and make beautiful pieces of work but I feel I have to be very dedicated and put a lot of effort into it. I just make art and sometimes hardly put any effort into it at all.
Compare this to Leonardo Da Vinci and his art work. He actually put his all into his art work, making experiments and creating beautiful artwork that no one can ever duplicate using the exact tools he used in his paintings.


If a little kid can qualify as an artist, wouldn't that be degrading to the art world? After all, a little kid can't become a doctor until he/she gets a PhD. Isn't there some sort of level a child must reach to be considered an artist? If there is, how would the people know?

No comments:

Post a Comment